Tuesday, October 16, 2007

WHY I LIKE THAI GHOST FILMS SO MUCH

HEY, HORROR FILM LOVERS, DON’T FORGET TO VOTE FOR “31 FLICKS THAT GIVE US THE WILLIES” IN “SHOOT THE PROJECTIONIST” BLOG. YOU CAN READ THE NOMINEE LIST AND THE VOTING RULES FROM THE LINK BELOW:
http://shoottheprojectionist.blogspot.com/2007/10/official-nominees-for-31-flicks-that.html

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my reply to Peter Nellhaus in my blog:
http://celinejulie.wordpress.com/2007/10/12/31-horror-films/

Hi Peter

Personally, I don’t like ART OF THE DEVIL (2004, Tanit Jitnukul, C) at all. It is very boring for me, and the story has no connection with ART OF THE DEVIL II (2005, Ronin Team, A+). So if you don’t have much time, I suggest you watch ART OF THE DEVIL II first.

I’m also amazed at how many Thai ghost films have been made lately, though I won’t complain much about it because I particularly like horror films. Hahaha. Moreover, though I admire some Thai film directors who try to make other kinds of movies, sometimes I find that I prefer their horror films to their other films. For example, I prefer THE UNSEEABLE (2006, Wisit Sasanatieng, A) to CITIZEN DOG (2004, Wisit Sasanatieng, A-/B+), and I prefer ART OF THE DEVIL II (2005, Ronin Team which includes Kongkiat Khomsiri, A+) to CHAIYA (2007, Kongkiat Khomsiri, A-/B+).

It would be great if Thai feature films become more varied, but I have to confess I often feel awkward when I watch some Thai romantic films or Thai historical period films. I can’t bear Thai films when they “intend” to make the audience feel PATRIOTIC or when they try to make the audience view the world or human relationships in TOO OPTIMISTIC eyes. I can bear Thai films when they just intend to cheaply scare the audience. Maybe that’s why I like Thai horror films so much, because some of them are not too optimistic about the world or human relationships. But that’s not the reason why other Thai audience like ghost films. It’s just the reason why I like ghost films, but I don’t think I share the same reasons with other Thai audience. I also don’t know why they like Thai ghost films so much.

No comments: