Monday, December 17, 2007

"JUST SAY NO TO FAMILY VALUES"

This is my comment in Girish Shambu’s blog:
http://www.girishshambu.com/blog/2007/12/didactic-cinema.html


--Girish, thanks a lot for the link mention. That post in my blog is actually a copy of my comment in a Thai webboard. I wrote it because someone in that webboard expresses interest in British films. So I copied Miguel Marias’ comments from your blog, because I think his comments are very useful. I wish I had more time to explore his list.

--I have learned many things from this post. I think your entry “Didactic Cinema” teaches me a lot of things. I don’t think I have any opinions on this topic, because I’m not sure about the definition of didactic film, and I always view films in a very subjective way. I just know that I tend to like films which convey messages I agree with, and I tend to dislike films with messages which are in contrast with my personal beliefs. For example, I like some social-conscious films of Prince Chatri of Thailand, but I don’t like something in his historical epic films, because they tend to convey some patriotic messages. I also don’t like some Thai short films, because they tend to convey the message-- “We should love our family, our father, our mother, our grandmother, etc.” I think I hate most films which try to tell the audience to love their family or their country. I also wonder why I like the style of Ozu’s films very much, but I feel very detached from the contents in Ozu’s films, especially if they are about family. I much prefer the contents in Nagisa Oshima’s or Shohei Imamura’s films to Ozu. I wonder if Ozu tried to teach the audience something about family values.

Is INEXTINGUISABLE FIRE (1969, Harun Farocki) a didactic film? If it is didactic, it may be one of my most favorite didactic films.

--I think there is a chalkboard in LA CHINOISE (Jean-Luc Godard). In this film, there are many famous names on the board at first, but Jean-Pierre Leaud keeps erasing the names on the board during the film until there are very few names left. I wonder whose names are erased and whose names are left on the board in LA CHINOISE.

--There is a brief scene in which a chalkboard appears in THE BURIED FOREST (2005, Kohei Oguri). In this scene, a teacher tells her students about how the forest was buried by using some drawings on the chalkboard.

-------------------------------------------------------

I like the film JUST SAY NO TO FAMILY VALUES by Antonello Faretta very much, so this is a poem by John Giorno which is recited in the film:

JUST SAY NO TO FAMILY VALUES

On a day when
you're walking
down the street
and you see
a hearse
with a coffin,
followed by
a flower car
and limos,
you know the day
is auspicious,
your plans are going to be
successful;
but on a day when
you see a bride and groom
and wedding party,
watch out,
be careful,
it might be a bad sign.


Just say no
to family values,
and don't quit
your day job.


Drugs
are sacred
substances,
and some drugs
are very sacred substances,
please praise them
for somewhat liberating
the mind.


Tobacco
is a sacred substance
to some,
and even though you've
stopped smoking,
show a little respect.


Alcohol
is totally great,
let us celebrate
the glorious qualities
of booze,
and I had
a good time
being with you.


Just
do it,
just don't
not do it,
just do it.


Christian
fundamentalists,
and fundamentalists
in general,
are viruses,
and they're killing us,
multiplying
and mutating,
and they destroying us,
now, you know,
you got to give
strong medicine
to combat
a virus.


Who's buying?
good acid,
I'm flying,
slipping
and sliding,
slurping
and slamming,
I'm sinking,
dipping
and dripping,
and squirting
inside you;
never
fast forward
a come shot;
milk, milk,
lemonade,
round the corner
where the chocolate's made;
I love to see
your face
when you're suffering.


Do it
with anybody
you want,
whatever
you want,
for as long as you want,
any place,
any place,
when it's possible,
and try to be
safe;
in a situation where
you must abandon
yourself
completely
beyond all concepts.


Twat throat
and cigarette dew,
that floor
would ruin
a sponge mop,
she's the queen
of great bliss;
light
in your heart,
flowing up
a crystal channel
into your eyes
and out
hooking
the world
with compassion.


Just
say
no
to family
values.


We don't have to say No
to family values,
cause we never
think about them;
just
do it,
just make
love
and compassion.

You can watch the film at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX2ChhMiOmk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU ENTRY 's NAME VERY MUCH