Tuesday, January 29, 2008

CELINE AND JULIE KNOW WHO KILLED ME

My ninth poll ended with 9 votes, including my vote for HEAVEN OF GLASS and TATORT: AUSGEKLINKT. Thank you very much for everyone who participated in it. The result is as follows:

THESE FILMS INVOLVE MURDER OR MYSTERY. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1.CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING (1974, Jacques Rivette, France)
It got 4 votes or 44 %.

2.THE LADY VANISHES (1938, Alfred Hitchcock, UK)
+THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943, Mark Robson, USA)
Each of them got 2 votes or 22 %.

4.AMNESIA (2001, Martin Koolhoven, Netherlands)
+HEAVEN OF GLASS (1987, Nina Grosse, West Germany)
+I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (2007, Chris Sivertson, USA)
+THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN (1988, William Hale, USA)
+TATORT: AUSGEKLINKT (1988, Sylvia Hoffmann, West Germany)
Each of them got 1 vote, or 11 %.

9.BROTHER’S KEEPER (1992, Joe Berlinger, Bruce Sinofsky, USA)
+COP AU VIN (1985, Claude Chabrol, France)
+DEATH ON THE NILE (1978, John Guillermin, UK)
+DEATHTRAP (1982, Sidney Lumet, USA)
+DEEP RED (1975, Dario Argento, Italy)
+DOGWOMAN: DEAD DOG WALKING (2000, Rowan Woods, Australia)
+EDEN AND AFTER (1970, Alain Robbe-Grillet, France)
+THE LAST ONE OF THE SIX (1941, Georges Lacombe, France)
+MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN (2006, Kon Ichikawa, Japan)
+THESIS (1996, Alejandro Amenabar, Spain)
+TICK TOCK (2000, Kevin Tenney, USA)
+WEB OF DECEPTION (1989, David Chung, Hong Kong)

Each of them got no vote.


I'm very glad that CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING won the most votes, though the film is very far from whodunit genre. I like Jacques Rivette very much, because his films seem to use some elements of thriller in a strange way. Many of his films have mysteries or secrets, such as VA SAVOIR, SECRET DEFENSE, UP DOWN FRAGILE, GANG OF FOUR, LE PONT DU NORD, and PARIS BELONGS TO US, but these films seem not to belong to any obvious genres.

I'm also glad that I KNOW WHO KILLED ME and THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN won a vote. I know many people hate I KNOW WHO KILLED ME, so it's nice to know that someone out there also loves this film like me. I also love a film review in Thai last year which mentions PERSONA in the review of I KNOW WHO KILLED ME.

THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN made me cry a bucketful of tears when I saw it nearly twenty years ago. It's a miniseries about the lynching of an innocent man. I have heard that there's also a stage play using the same story.





No comments: