Thursday, January 10, 2008

SATANTANGO WON THE MOST VOTES

Thanks to everyone who participated in my seventh poll: LIFE IN MONO. There are 16 votes for the poll, including my vote for MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON.

This is the result:

THESE FILMS HAVE SOME OR ALL PARTS IN BLACK-AND-WHITE. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1. SATANTANGO (1994, Bela Tarr) got 5 votes or 31 %

2. BULLET BALLET (1998, Shinya Tsukamoto)
+ PI (1997, Darren Aronofsky)
+ REGULAR LOVERS (2005, Philippe Garrel)

Each of them got 4 votes or 25 %



5. MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON (2000, Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
+ THE SADDEST MUSIC IN THE WORLD (2003, Guy Maddin)

Each of them got 3 votes or 18 %


7.BEGOTTEN (1991, E. Elias Merhige)
+ FALLEN (2005, Fred Kelemen)
+ PHANTOM LOVE (2007, Nina Menkes)
+ TREASURE ISLAND (1999, Scott King)

Each of them got 2 votes or 12 %


11. THE HOURS AND TIMES (1991, Christopher Munch)
+ INSTITUTE BENJAMENTA (1995, Brothers Quay)
+ NO PLACE TO GO (2000, Oskar Roehler)
+ PALMS (1993, Artur Aristakisyan)
+ PLEASANTVILLE (1998, Gary Ross)
+ RIGHT NOW (2004, Benoit Jacquot)

Each of them got 1 vote or 6 %


17. CRY IN SILENCE (2006, J. G. Biggs)
+ HEREMIAS (2006, Lav Diaz)
+ HUNT ANGELS (2006, Alec Morgan)
+ LOOK OF LOVE (2006, Yoshiharu Ueoka)

Each of them got zero vote.


I’m very glad many people love SATANTANGO. I like this film very much. I just watched it on December 31, 2007. I watched REGULAR LOVERS on January 1, 2008. It’s hard for me to say which film I prefer between these two. There’s no need to compare them, anyway. I think SATANTANGO shows me the power of CINEMA and the power of STYLISTIC CHOICES, whereas REGULAR LOVERS shows me the power of LIFE. I much enjoyed REGULAR LOVERS while I was watching it, but the film doesn’t stick in my mind as strongly as SATANTANGO. Comparing to other films by Philippe Garrel, I think I like REGULAR LOVERS less than THE BIRTH OF LOVE and THE PHANTOM HEART. Maybe it is because the protagonists in REGULAR LOVERS haven’t experienced many things in life yet. Comparing to other films by Bela Tarr, I prefer SATANTANGO to DAMNATION, WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES, and THE MAN FROM LONDON.

I am gladly surprised that BULLET BALLET got many votes. I like this film very much, but I haven’t heard many people talk about this film.

Judging on cinematography alone, I like INSTITUTE BENJAMENTA the most.

No comments: