Friday, October 17, 2008

GENRE FILMS FROM SOME COUNTRIES

This is my comment in Supposed Aura’s blog:
http://supposedaura.blogspot.com/2008/09/genre-testimone-oculare-memorable.html


This is very interesting. I agree with it. I think Italian genre films in 1970’s are full of memorable mental images, though some of their screenplays or stories may have some weak points. For example, I think PUZZLE (1974, Duccio Tessari, A-) is boring as a thriller, but what I like the most in this film is the mental image of “something” which flashes into the hero’s mind from time to time, and I also like the romantic aspect of this film. The beautiful mental images in these Italian genre films set them apart from films from other parts of the world. I like genre films from other countries, too, but maybe for different reasons. I like some American films such as TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974, Tobe Hooper) and I DRINK YOUR BLOOD (1970, David E. Durston) for their rawness. And I like some Spanish films such as WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976, Narciso Ibanez Serrador), TO LET (2006, Jaume Balaguero), and THE BABY’S ROOM (2006, Alex de la Iglesia) for their stories or screenplays. I like the Australian genre films of Greg McLean for their beautiful scenery. But it’s hard to find genre films from other countries which are full of memorable mental images like Italian films in 1970’s. Having said that, I have to say that MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN (2006, Kon Ichikawa) has some memorable mental images, too.


----------------------------


This is my comment in Konmongnang’s blog:
http://konmongnang.exteen.com/20081016/entry


--ประโยคที่ว่า “แต่เธอก็สามารถเดินลงมาถึงได้เพียงแค่บริเวณปราสาทชั้นที่สองเท่านั้น” มันฟังดูเศร้าๆยังไงไม่รู้

--เราเคยไปเยี่ยมตากับยายที่อุบลราชธานีตอนเด็กๆ จำได้ว่าแม่ค้าในตลาดที่อุบลชอบถามว่าเราเป็นคนเขมรหรือเปล่า เพราะเราออกเสียง ร เรือชัดมาก (ถ้าจำไม่ผิด)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the word "body of film" so much btw i'm not sure that in RED QUEEN KILLS SEVEN TIMES having th cene that the murdere run into the hallway of the hospital was a mental image ofr not but it haunting me alot

celinejulie said...

--Yes, I think it is a kind of mental images, and you can see its photo here:
http://killinginstyle.blogspot.com/2007/01/giallo-is-not-gothic.html

--I also would like to add that I like the Spanish film THESIS (1996, Alejandro Amenabar) very much because of its story.