Saturday, October 15, 2011

MELANCHOLIA (2011, Lars von Trier, A++++++++++)

MELANCHOLIA (Lars von Trier) unintentionally helps me prepare my mind for my inevitable death. I mean everybody will die sooner or later, but I don't want to be like Claire, who can't deal with this fact. I want to be like Justine, who made me realize that death is a fact of life.

Below is what Lars von Trier said in Film Comment:

"I went from very, very strong anxiety into depression, and it was actually a relief because my depression was kind of giving up, whereas anxiety is adrenaline all the time."

"My technique is that I divide my personality into the characters that I write, and then very early on they get a life of their own."


"Justine's kind of calling for this planet somehow. Maybe it's more a feeling than a planet. And I think that with melancholia, there's a bittersweetness to the feeling."

"At a certain point, you kind of give up. You know, like the little bird that the cat gets: at a certain point you say, Okay, eat me for Christ's sake."


The painting shown here is OPHELIA (1852, John Everett Millais), which is an inspiration for one scene in the film.





No comments: