Wednesday, December 25, 2013

PRINCESS OF CLEVES

 
Some characters in BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR (2013, Abdellatif Kechiche, A+30) talk about the classic novels THE PRINCESS OF CLEVES and DANGEROUS LIAISONS. Adele in BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR also says, “It’s beyond my control,” like Valmont in DANGEROUS LIAISONS, though Adele says it sincerely, unlike Valmont.
 
I don’t know why BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR mentions these two novels, but this mentioning reminds me of the films DANG DANGEROUS LIAISONS (1988, Stephen Frears), and PRINCESS OF CLEVES (1961, Jean Delannoy, A+30). I like the intense romantic relationships in all these three films. I can understand the hurt that the main characters in these three films feel, though I don’t really identify myself with the main characters in these three films.
 
The photo comes from THE PRINCESS OF CLEVES.
 

No comments: